The Capital Strategist is a full-time role within the Programs team of TechTown Detroit. Reporting to the Small Business Services Director, this position is primarily responsible for providing one-on-one coaching to build core business acumen and improve cash flow management to small businesses who are engaged as loan clients (borrowers), as part of our partnership with a local Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI). The individual in this role will also serve as a key member of TechTown’s Small Business Services team to support the capital access needs of TechTown Small Business clients. This is high-functioning, fast-paced, and results-driven role – a high level of autonomy, organization, responsibility, and financial expertise is required for success in the Capital Strategist position.
- Serve as an active member of the Small Business Services team by contributing to team meetings, regularly collaborating with teammates, and supporting program-related tasks, as assigned by the Small Business Services Director
- Manage a portfolio of small business borrowers in a highly collaborative role with our partner CDFI to move businesses from volatility to stability and sustainability
- Assess business strengths and weaknesses in areas of finance, operations and marketing; lead borrower through milestone-based coaching, leveraging TechTown methodology and resources, such as the Professional Services Network (PSN)
- Provide weekly one-on-one consultations (Strategy Sessions) to support entrepreneurs seeking access to capital in SE MI through providing referrals to CDFI, banking partners and connecting to relevant resources
- Represent the organization in external engagements (partner meetings, community partner and resource fair events) and maintain relationships with key regional entrepreneurial ecosystem partners, including CDFIs, community development and business service organizations
- Highest level of personal integrity to inspire confidence, respect and trust
- Results-oriented capability, high energy and ability to quickly establish credibility with TechTown team members, clients and stakeholders – Professional experience in building and cultivating meaningful relationships with individuals from diverse cultural, social, economic and ethnic backgrounds
A combination of the following technical skills is required:
- 3+ years’ experience in creating business projections and financial modeling
- 3+ years’ experience in micro/small business financial management or accounting
- 3+ years’ experience in analyzing key financial performance indicators for micro/small businesses
- experience in preparing entrepreneurs to access capital for the first time and/or more complex financial packages (either through personal, or coaching/consulting experience)
- experience in assisting entrepreneurs in successfully managing debt and cash flow (either through personal, or coaching/consulting experience)
- 2+ years’ project management experience
- proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point) and Google Docs
- ability to work in a systems environment, with willingness to learn and use new software and systems as required; experience with a CRM preferred
This is a full-time position. To apply please send a resume, cover letter and three to five professional references to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line.
The budgeted salary range for this position starts at $60,000 and may be adjusted according to qualifications and experience.
TechTown offers generous health and dental plans as well as vision, life insurance, short-term disability, a 401(k) plan, and an Employee Assistance Program. Full-time employees also receive:
- Five weeks of paid time off per year
- 22 paid holidays (including 2 weeks in December and 1 week in July)
- 12 paid mental health days per year (one per month)
- $2500 professional development stipend
NOTE REGARDING THE COVID PANDEMIC
TechTown has instituted a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
Most TechTown team members (including this position) are assigned to work remotely at this time and for the foreseeable future (with occasional in-person collaborative meetings required).