The Entrepreneurial Education Director is a full-time role within the Programs team of TechTown Detroit. Reporting to the Managing Director of Entrepreneurial Programs and Services, this position is responsible for strategically developing and evaluating TechTown’s suite of free educational services (Strategy Sessions, Ask An Expert, Training Series, Business Builders Podcast) which provide professional development, expert advice and access to peer networks. TechTown’s Entrepreneurial Education services also provide onramps to our Small Business and Tech programming and help entrepreneurs navigate the Southeast Michigan entrepreneurial ecosystem. The Entrepreneurial Education Director serves as a critical liaison and strategic thought partner to both to key external stakeholders (entrepreneurs and specifically TechTown alumni, ecosystem peers, subject matter experts) and internal stakeholders (Small Business and Tech program teams, Marketing/Communications, Fund Development and Systems Innovation teams), in order to shape services that are unique to the region, relevant to a national audience and support the needs of both small business and tech startups through shared programmatic outcomes, namely: building core business acumen (finance, marketing, operations); leveraging systems and technology to fuel growth; improving access to capital. The Entrepreneurial Education Director also plays a key role in helping position TechTown as a national thought leader in inclusive entrepreneurship-led economic development.
The Entrepreneurial Education Director has one direct report, the Entrepreneurial Education Manager, with periodic support from intern(s)
- Further develop TechTown’s Professional Services Network (PSN) as a platform to provide growth opportunities for Detroit entrepreneurs and specifically Black, LatinX, Women, Veteran, Immigrant and LGBTQ-owned businesses
- Further develop TechTown’s Ask An Expert program as a means to leverage corporate skills-based volunteerism
- Work in close collaboration with Programs leaders and team members to refine existing (e.g. alumni newsletter) and create new means to cultivate an engaged TechTown alumni community
- Work in close collaboration with Programs, Marketing/Communications and Systems Innovation teams to create unique, multi-media content which leverages the talent of local entrepreneurs and engages diverse subject matter experts to fuel professional development, open access to networks, gain key industry insights and drive business growth
- Demonstrate the individual and collective impact of Entrepreneurial Education services through quantitative (data collection, analysis) and qualitative (public, client and alumni testimonials) outcomes
- Prioritize the continued professional development of team member(s)
- Effectively manage a program budget. Analyze monthly budget-to-actual reports and take ownership of grant specifications to appropriately review and approve expenses
- Champion fundraising efforts; support Development team in cultivating existing and new funding relationships
- Represent the organization in external engagements (interviews, public speaking, panels, etc.) and maintain relationships with key regional entrepreneurial ecosystem partners
- Experience in data-driven program analysis to drive process and performance improvement
- Outstanding candidates will have experience as an entrepreneur
- Established relationships with Southeast Michigan entrepreneurial ecosystem and community leaders strongly preferred; relationships within the mobility sector, a plus
- Professional experience in contract and vendor management preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; professional experience in marketing/communications preferred
- Experience in administering Learning Management Systems, a plus
- Formal training and professional experience in building and cultivating meaningful relationships with individuals from diverse cultural, social, economic and ethnic backgrounds. 5+ years in managing teams preferred
- Demonstrated experience in effective budget management
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Highest level of personal integrity to inspire confidence, respect and trust
- Results-oriented capability, high energy and ability to quickly establish credibility with TechTown team members, clients and stakeholders
- Willingness to take educated risks and challenge the status quo to bring about change when needed
This is a full-time position. To apply please send a resume, cover letter and three to five professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.
The budgeted salary range for this position starts at $70,000 and may be adjusted according to qualifications and experience.
TechTown offers generous health and dental plans as well as vision, life insurance, short-term disability, a 401(k) plan, and an Employee Assistance Program. Full-time employees also receive:
- Five weeks of paid time off per year
- 22 paid holidays (including 2 weeks in December and 1 week in July)
- 12 paid mental health days per year (one per month)
- $2500 professional development stipend
NOTE REGARDING THE COVID PANDEMIC
TechTown has instituted a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
Most TechTown team members (including this position) are assigned to work remotely at this time and for the foreseeable future (with occasional in-person collaborative meetings required).