These days, we’re trying to be a little more loud and proud about all the reasons TechTown is a great place to work. Since part of my job as COO is to make sure that everyone on our team has what they need to feel effective, empowered and acknowledged in their work, I spend a lot of time in the feedback loop of what people appreciate most about working here.
There are a handful of things that staff mention regularly:
- An entrepreneurial culture: the vibe of this place is very idea-friendly, and staff at all levels often have opportunities to shape program design.
- Brilliant colleagues: with a diverse mix of backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and knowledge (and plenty of opportunities to collaborate), we inspire and sharpen each other on a regular basis. And we share a deep passion for the organization’s mission to support Detroit’s local businesses and tech startups.
- Plenty of paid time off: we offer 5 weeks per year and are constantly refining our internal operations to help people feel like they can take time off without falling behind.
- Paid holidays: we offer a mix of commonly recognized holidays, plus 2 full weeks of time off in December to honor a variety of holidays and traditions around that time of year.
- Professional development stipend: we budget $1,000 per year per employee to support individual professional development based on each staff member’s growth plan and areas of interest. This is above and beyond the budget we set aside for team-wide and org-wide trainings and development.
- Monthly mental health days: we genuinely care about work/life balance and recognize that taking a day off is a lot more restorative if everyone else is pausing too. We schedule org-wide mental health days once a month so that people can disconnect and not miss a thing.
- Sabbatical: we pay our full-time staff to be off the clock and away from work for a full week to focus on an intention of their choosing – whatever will be a source of rest, reflection, learning, growing, adventure, skill-building … the options are endless.
But what I think is most important in making the case for why any opportunity at TechTown is well worth taking is this:
We look to every single staff member for input and influence.
What does that look like?
- Our pandemic policies were designed according to what our staff told us they needed – in surveys and focus groups and general feedback. Our policies don’t assume one size fits all because our staff have varying needs and concerns.
- Our strategic planning process for our 2021 strategy included our entire team – through the entire process. From entry-level to seasoned executive, everyone had a voice in the strategic direction of the organization.
- Because our focus is on people feeling capable of success in their work, we are constantly looking for ways to invest in and elevate individual staff so that they are positioned for opportunities in our organization or at one of many other organizations in the region. No matter what your title is, you’ll have the opportunity to personally grow and flex while shaping some pretty incredible work.
We know that nonprofit work can be challenging – and at TechTown, we want to make sure you burn bright instead of burning out.