TechTown is Detroit’s entrepreneurship hub. We empower Detroit-based startups and local businesses by providing resources, collaborative workspace and education for entrepreneurs that will further accelerate inclusive economic development across Detroit.
Detroit Urban Solutions is a technology innovation consortium with a mission to amplify Detroit’s urban tech and smart city ecosystem. A partnership between TechTown Detroit, Wayne State University, NextEnergy and numerous other organizations, the consortium is driven by citizen science and stakeholder needs, where regional partners work collaboratively to identify and implement best-in-class solutions to challenges facing Detroit in the areas of healthcare, water tech, mobility, energy and more. The public/private innovation consortium convenes anchor institutions and companies alongside startups and entrepreneurial service providers to cultivate sustainable, resilient communities.
Detroit Urban Solutions support connections between resources that result in tangible projects that address urban challenges, regional economic growth, identification and support of new technologies, and implementation of viable solutions that improve the quality of life for Detroiters. We strive to uplift our city’s recognition as a global technology leader.
TechTown Detroit is seeking a Director, Detroit Urban Solutions- the ultimate connector, technology advocate, spokesperson, and visionary. With the support of an established Steering Committee, a strategic implementation partner and a myriad of community champions, the Director will lead the continued development and growth of the consortium by way of community engagement and collaboration, execution of grant deliverables, internal and external communications,
The ideal candidate should demonstrate a passion for new technologies, regional innovation strategies, deep community stakeholder engagement, entrepreneurial economic development, and possess a strong desire to participate in Detroit’s ongoing revitalization.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director will serve as the organizational lead for the consortium and will be charged with working collaboratively with TechTown colleagues and implementing activities – events, innovation competitions, accelerator programs, marketing campaigns, fulfillment of grant deliverables, building and executing a sustainability model, etc. – that are designed to lift-up existing technology initiatives by TechTown, from our partners and fill gaps in the ecosystem. This includes increasing equitable and inclusive access for potential new entrants into the ecosystem, especially from underrepresented neighborhoods, sub-sectors, stakeholder groups, and perspectives.
- Strategic planning for TechTown’s Detroit Urban Solutions in partnership with the Steering Committee and consultants hired to help design and develop the consortium.
- Fundraising associated with ensuring programmatic growth and sustainability.
- Thought leadership on technology initiatives across the ecosystem on behalf of TechTown.
- Hiring and managing such staff as necessary to execute the consortium’s activities.
- Coordinate with other programs and cluster initiatives of TechTown and with those that are synergistic with the mission of Detroit Urban Solutions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to be extremely entrepreneurial and flexible.
- Leadership skills and experience demonstrated over a minimum of 10 years of progressively increasing responsibilities.
- Passion for Detroit, technology, and creatively solving urban challenges.
- Understanding of equitable and inclusive economic development practices.
- Budget setting and management experience.
- Ability and enthusiasm for consistent monitoring of the competitive landscape (inside and outside of the region), strategic and collaborative opportunities for growth and urban innovation practices that may benefit Detroit Urban Solutions.
- Demonstrated history of success in various environments involving diverse stakeholders (ex. city residents, neighborhood-level organizers, executive-level leadership).
This is a full-time position. To apply please send a resume and cover letter to HR@techtowndetroit.org.
The budgeted salary range for this position starts at $110,000 and may be adjusted according to qualifications and experience.
- TechTown offers generous health and dental plans as well as vision, life insurance, short-term disability, a 401(k) plan, and an Employee Assistance Program. Full-time employees also receive:
- 5 weeks of paid time off per year
- 17 Paid holidays (including 2 weeks in December)
- 12 paid monthly mental health days per year
- Paid week-long sabbatical
- $1,000 professional development stipend
NOTE REGARDING THE COVID PANDEMIC
TechTown has instituted a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
Most TechTown staff (including this position) are assigned to work remotely at this time. The organization is actively developing a plan for the future of our onsite work, which will provide updated expectations for in-person reporting. That plan is scheduled to be implemented no earlier than January 2022.
TechTown Detroit is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.