Retail Boot Camp
TechTown’s Retail Boot Camp is an intensive, eight-week program that prepares serious, Detroit-based entrepreneurs for the opening of their brick-and-mortar retail establishments. In addition to training, RBC provides access to critical start-up capital, affordable space and ongoing business support. Retail Boot Camp has gained a reputation for launching successful and much-anticipated businesses that are catalyzing neighborhood commercial districts, including House of Pure Vin, Paramita Sound, Tribalfare, Mama Coo’s Boutique, Third Wave Music and 2015 Hatch Detroit winner Live Cycle Delight.
Retail Boot Camp covers
- Navigating brick and mortar regulations
- Knowing the role of an architect
- Selecting a location with legal guidance
- Evaluating your branding
- Selling and customer service
- Selecting a POS system
- Identifying startup costs
- Marketing and social media strategy
- Understanding your pricing and inventory
- Being “capital ready”
- Managing daily cash flow
How it works
- Eight weeks of in-person sessions, facilitated by business development and retail experts
- The program culminates with a Showcase, where up to five successful graduates are awarded prize packages worth $5,000 and which may include:
- Subsidized permanent or pop-up location
- Professional services (design, social media, legal, financials)
- Point-of-sale system
- Inventory subsidy
Who is eligible
Participants must be willing to locate their business in Detroit within 12 months of graduation and must have evidence of previous retail activity (brick-and-mortar, pop-up, website/e-commerce transactions, trunk shows, etc.)
July 31-September 25. Every Tuesday, 5-8pm at TechTown.
Applications are now closed for our 2018 cohorts.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.