DTX Launch Detroit is an intensive 10-week summer accelerator for college students and recent graduates aspiring to launch a technology startup. Participants will receive a stipend of $2,500 per individual (up to $7,500 per venture team) to test out their entrepreneurial dreams.
The program covers
- Designing, testing and evaluating your value proposition
- Finding the right product/market fit
- Developing your business model canvas
- Conducting customer discovery
- Team building
- Pitch coaching
- Subject matter expert speakers
Launch Detroit follows the Lean Startup approach, a step-by-step business development method popularized by famed serial entrepreneurs Steve Blank and Bob Dorf. Enrolled teams will be given extensive assignments in preparation for weekly workshops. They also will be directed to get out of the building and talk to potential customers to test their various hypotheses. The curriculum is augmented with guest speakers, business coaches and mentors, as teams attempt to validate their value proposition and business models. Other components include meet-and-greets with experienced entrepreneurs, subject matter experts and tech startup founders. The program will culminate in a showcase day, giving participants the opportunity to make a pitch to potential strategic partners, advisers and investors.
- Undergraduate and graduate students, or recent graduates from any Michigan college or university, seeking to launch a technology-based business. If you are a Michigan resident but attend college out of state, you are still eligible.
- Teams of at least two people are required; teams that demonstrate a complementary skill set or include members with different majors or from different departments or schools are likely to receive more favorable consideration.
- Must be able to make a full-time commitment to the 10-week summer program
A number of the teams that have graduated from DTX Launch Detroit are actively working to move their business ideas forward. Learn more about these teams here.
Applications for the 2018 summer cohort are currently open and can be reached at techtowndetroit.org/dtxapply. Remember to apply early because applications will be reviewed on a first come, first served basis. Application deadline is April 6, 2018.
For more information
For more information, Techtown will host three Info Sessions: January 10, 2018, February 20, 2018, and March 22, 2018. To register for this free event, click here.
DTX Launch Detroit is a program of the Detroit Technology Exchange (DTX), a programmatic partnership between TechTown Detroit, the Detroit Creative Corridor Center, Grand Circus, the Henry Ford Innovation Institute, Invest Detroit, and NextEnergy, is designed to recruit and groom talent for tech entrepreneurship opportunities and convert innovative technologies into Detroit-based startups. It is supported by the Michigan Economic Development Corp.’s Michigan Strategic Fund, Bank of America, New Economy Initiative, LEAR Corporation and General Motors.