SWOT City Portfolio Manager
TechTown’s SWOT City hiring a full-time Portfolio Manager to lead client engagement in Southwest Detroit. The Portfolio Manager will also support graduates of TechTown’s Retail Boot Camp program.
The Portfolio Manager provides one-on-one assistance to help launch, stabilize and grow small businesses and strengthen neighborhood commercial districts. This individual acts as an ambassador for TechTown in Detroit neighborhoods. A passion for small business development in Detroit’s neighborhoods, fluency in Spanish and experience working with business owners in Southwest Detroit are requirements for this position. The SWOT City team is high functioning and results-driven – a high level of autonomy, organization and responsibility is required for success in the Portfolio Manager position. The ability to develop and maintain rapport with business owners, community stakeholders, program partners and SWOT City team members is also critical to success in this role.
The Full-Time Portfolio Manager will report to the SWOT City Director.
- Evaluate client referrals from community partners and stakeholders;
- Work with neighborhood small business owners to complete a thorough Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats (SWOT) analysis
- Identify and develop short-term, actionable milestone plans related to launch, stabilization or growth strategies for neighborhood small business owners
- In coordination with members of our Professional Services Network (PSN), provide guidance to help client companies execute milestone plans; monitor and assess the client companies’ progress towards goal completion
- Ensure compliance with program and funder requirements
- Following the SWOT City program methodology, support Retail Boot Camp graduates to help launch their businesses in Detroit
- Serve as an active member of the SWOT City team by contributing to team meetings, regularly collaborating with teammates, and supporting program-related tasks, as assigned by the SWOT City Director
- Represent and/or speak on behalf of TechTown and SWOT City at events (e.g. community meetings, partner or funder-related events), which regularly take place during both daytime and evening hours and may also take place on weekends. (We offer flexibility in scheduling when evening and weekend availability is necessary.)
- Travel from the SWOT City neighborhood office to businesses, meetings, partner or funder-related events and to and from TechTown for weekly team meetings
- Contribute to the further development of SWOT City through creative thinking and effective sharing of ideas
- Support SWOT City Director in regular grant reporting tasks by completing appropriate recordkeeping tasks weekly and by providing regular client updates at team meetings and as otherwise assigned
- Other duties pertinent to the work of TechTown and/or SWOT City, as assigned by SWOT City Director
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing in Spanish and English
- A connection to the small business community in Southwest Detroit
- Passion for small business development in Detroit’s neighborhoods
- Strong small business knowledge and consulting skills
- High-level problem-solving skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize workload to meet established deadlines and performance standards
- Use of a personal vehicle; frequent travel between clients, colleagues and partners in various neighborhoods throughout the city is required. (Mileage reimbursement offered)
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience in entrepreneurship, business development, project management, marketing, community and/or economic development
- A familiarity with Detroit’s small business ecosystem is strongly preferred
This is a full-time position.
Please send a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations via the TechTown Job Portal: https://techtowndetroit.org/jobs/
Compensation is competitive with national industry averages and dependent on experience. In addition, TechTown offers a generous benefits package including full health benefits, a generous amount of time off and professional development opportunities.
TechTown is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. TechTown does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or any other category prohibited by applicable local, state or federal law.
TechTown is Detroit’s entrepreneurship hub. We’re a different kind of incubator and accelerator—perhaps the only one in the country offering a full suite of programs for both tech and neighborhood small businesses. We work with businesses at all stages, helping startup, emerging and established companies develop, launch and grow. Leveraging a strong network of community partners, we deliver support services at our Midtown hub and in neighborhoods throughout Detroit. TechTown is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a diverse and inclusive work environment.